History and Development
The Mills Community Garden (MCG) began in 2011- 2012 through the efforts of Sustainable Klamath (SK), its members and valued friends. The garden’s site is in the Klamath Falls Mills Addition at Richmond St. and Orchard Avenue. This is about two blocks west of the Mills Elementary School. Klamath residents grow nutritious vegetables for themselves, often with the joyful participation of their children.
Victoria Schmitt graciously donates the use of this property to SK. In return SK pays the yearly property taxes.
The labor and many of the materials for constructing the garden were donated. SK pays the City of Klamath Falls for the water used by gardeners.
Students from nearby Mills Elementary School have often come to the Garden with their teachers to learn about gardening.
Construction and Facility
- In addition to the 44 growing beds, the garden includes
- a composting facility
- a shed for tools & supplies
- a picnic table and benches
- space for manure and other amendments for the beds
- a greenhouse donated by Klamath Tribal Health & Family Services and a grant from USDA.
Master Gardener Perri McDaniel designed the space.
The greenhouse took shape with the help of Dewey Moore and about a dozen youth from the Mills neighborhood. It has space for a few hundred potted plants and plant starts.
During construction of the garden, one of the area nurseries donated and planted several fruit trees. Here is a descriptive article by former garden manager David King.
Participating in the Garden
Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MillsCommunityGarden/#_=_
Please print out, complete, scan and email the application to:
1221 Main St.
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
Attn: Mills Community Garden Manager
Questions– call 541-363-7316 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org